Sunday, May 22, 2016

The Back of My Yard from the Bottom of My Heart


When I first moved to Quebec our house was only a couple years old and the back yard was just sand. We brought in top soil and planted grass and gathered rocks from near by to make a line between the forest and the lawn. A neighbour said to me "C'est trés beau, la fond de ton cour." I was not as bilingual then as I am now, and it sounded to me like the expression "the bottom of your heart," in French, "la fond de ton coeur." I told him it was really just the forest that was beautiful, we couldn't take much credit. Years later my sister made a similar remark about the striking beauty of the carpet of little white flowers under the trees. I laughed and said that they were simply the regular ground cover of the forest, it was just the moment of the year when the "quatre-temps" bloom. Today we worked as a family to get the backyard ready for the summer. I love my "fond de cour de la fond de mon coeur!"

No comments:

Post a Comment