Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Mom would be proud.


I thought about taking a picture of the dog as he sniffed photogenically in a little melted patch, but then he moved on and I saw that there was a crumpled white paper that would have marred the shot anyway. I continued on and not much further I was dismayed to see a couple fast food bags and wrappers in the sandy path of the forest behind my house. It is fairly wild territory and relatively pristine, so I walked on in consternation.

Then I thought about my mother. As she walked around the block in my small hometown she would pick up garbage, at times to the dismay of her walking buddy who would chide her, "Put that down!" But mom would carry the plastic bottle or shiny chip bag with her and then drop it in the next garbage bin she passed.

A few more steps and I stopped and turned around. I couldn't leave the garbage in the forest. I gathered it up and then continued picking up even tiny bits of refuse as I finished my walk. I remember reading that we should get at least one piece of inorganic matter out of the environment each time we go out. Imagine if we all did that. Anyway. Mom would have been proud.
Love Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment