Thursday, May 26, 2016

Get the Boot


The pussy willows I posted turned into these things! They look like fireworks. And speaking of fireworks these will be ready to pop soon and my world will turn yellow with the pollen from the millions of Black Spruce gathered at my back door.


Today as I walked along a forest path I looked down and saw something inorganic. My first reaction was the typical disappointment that people think it is okay to leave their garbage behind, but as I picked it up to put in my pocket I felt a sudden rush of nostalgia as I realized what it was. Do you recognize it? (Forest Anthropologist) 


The arrow shaped attachment that held the buckle. The way you folded the smooth rubber flap over to hold them on your feet. Fifty years ago I used to pull these on over my leather school shoes, skinny leotard legs sticking up above to the required skirt since we were not allowed to wear pants. They were ugly, but everyone wore the same thing, so who noticed? I wonder how many years those galoshes have taken to disintegrate to this point.


On my way back home I saw my first flowers, a sprinkling of tiny pink blossoms tucked in the underbrush like memories of last summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment