Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Fox Scat


When I decided to take one photo per day as part of the David Suzuki 30x30 Challenge I wondered how I would find something interesting every time I went out in nature. I needn't have worried, in fact I find it hard to choose some days. Today was one of those days. There was a partridge that flew up, startled, as we went by; you should have heard the sound its wings made, as though ten large birds are beating their feathers as fast as they can in a small enclosed space. Here is the forest where the partridge was sitting before it flew away.


Then I found a watch lying in the caribou moss; it must have been lost before the snow melt because it is still set to Daylight Savings Time. I am such a detective.


Then I saw the dogs up ahead (my dog and the neighbour's dog, who often walks with us) sniffing like mad at something they found really interesting. It was poop. I know toilet matters are not the most elegant topic, but they are a part of nature, and, in fact, along with tracks, they help nature detectives (amateurs like me and professionals too) figure out what animals are hanging around.

Leading to the poop were the tracks in the photo at the top of today's post. The foot prints are in a pretty straight line, and although that can also mean a cat, in the middle of the forest and this big, I am pretty sure they belong to a fox. Also, I looked up fox scat on Google and it looks just like my picture. If you do not want to see poop, do not scroll down.







No comments:

Post a Comment