Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Chicken Foot Root

Ceci n'est pas un pied de poule.

Here is a story I tell my humanity students in their knowledge course. 

First, tell me what this is...


Are you sure?

Okay, here is the story.

I was kayaking one day in shallow rocky water, 
looking down at the starfish and sea urchins. 
Isn't it amazing, I thought to myself,
 how starfish look just like stars. 

Wait a minute.
That's not right.

 A star doesn't really look like that.
 So, probably,
a star looks like a starfish. 
(Here I picture ancient sailors drawing maps, 
and rendering by the stars, 
and using a shape they see all the time to mark their places.)

We have these ideas in our heads
 and sometimes we need to go behind those ideas 
and see where they really came from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment